Saturday, December 27, 2008

There's not enough therapy in the world

We have a family tradition. Every year, my mother drops off grocery bags of "stocking stuffers" with one of us kids and after the actual children go to sleep (or are banished to their rooms now that they are older) we sit around and laugh as we stuff the random assortment of crap into each others' stockings.

Past years, we have had stockings whose contents were purchased at the auto parts store, including heel guards for my sister and I (we own about a 3/4" of heels combined) and the little hammers you can use to break your windows if you accidentally drive into a lake. I have enough Crabtree & Evelyn to open my own store.

But she is never going to be able to top this year. This fall, mom went to Tuscany with her church for the second time. Last time she went, she brought me a frilly apron with olives on it, I guess to wear when I am making martinis before I serve dinner to my husband's boss and his wife. She has always bought us bags of pasta, I guess because my husband is Italian-American. Many a food bank has received apple-shaped pasta, shoe-shaped pasta, and even cat-shaped pasta. None of that prepared me for what I found in his stocking bag this year.

Yes. Penis-shaped pasta. In all the years of stocking stuffers, this is the first time there has ever been one shaped like a reproductive organ. I'm trying hard not to assume that either my mother thinks my husband is gay or this is the single least subtle hint ever that she wants grandchildren. Either way, pass the prozac-shaped pasta.

Click the picture for more penis pasta photos.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Will said...

Ah, but doesn't penne mean "penis" to begin with? Though this is much more literal. :)

We do the same oddball stocking stuffers. I usually end up with some sort of bizarro office supplies to fuel my Staples fetish.

Twitter Grader Badge