Sunday, September 21, 2008

Things that are better now than when we were kids

As I refilled the bottle of olive oil I keep next to the stove from the 3L bottle I buy at the warehouse club, I flashed on the tiny bottle of Pompeian Olive Oil we used to have in the pantry when I was a kid. Recipes that called for olive oil required precision measurements so as to not waste a precious drop. When the bottle ran out, we piled in the car for a trip down to Little Italy to a special Italian grocery store to buy another tiny bottle. Now, I use olive oil for all of my cooking. I can't think of a meal that doesn't start with a swirl of olive oil in a pan. Sure, I have smaller bottles of different grades and nationalities of olive oil, but the giant jug of extra virgin olive oil is my go to oil. Every time I go to make brownies, I have to run out and buy new vegetable oil because the tiny bottle in the pantry (that I bought last time I made brownies) has gone rancid on me.

But I still love a good trip to the Italian grocery store.

No comments:

Twitter Grader Badge